15.8.07

Page Rank - Buying Directory Links

I spent most of today linking to directories. I did use one service that submitted my site to 250 PR3 and PR4 sites, but I am not sure yet if it is a scam. I will bet $30 against that. 250 links in 10 minutes is a good deal. But, most sites demand a link-back - I'll let you know if I received any value for my money.

There is a trick to paying for links. Remember that Google ranks Pages not Websites.

The price of some directories is $50, others are $500. I've even seen a few at $1000. The problem is, you want to see the PR ranking of the page your website will appear on. That doesn't mean the category page - but the actual page your site will appear on. In many cases, directories with a PR8 on the home page have a PR0 (zero) on the category pages.

This means you are paying your $50 for nothing. There are hundreds of directories with a PR0 that will let you rank free. I've heard the argument both ways - that the home page PR will help - and that it won't. The fact is, Google tell their secrets.

Is it worth paying for a link on a page with a PR6? Yes, that PR will increase the PR rank of your site - but make sure that your site 'does' have a PR6 on the page you are linking too.

Do not loose heart. It takes time to build links. A website/blog needs about 3000 inbound links from PR3- to achieve a PR4 or a PR5. This is time consuming, and can take several months to see the fruits of your labour.

The best plan of attack is to submit one single blog - with your other blogs linking to it. That will save money, and help you get ranked.

No comments: