19.3.08

Digg: Why You Should Digg Your Own Posts

There are two trains of thought when it comes to digg. One believes that visitors should do the digging to create organic links. The other believes that the blogger should do the digging. This way, visitors only need to click the 'digg' button.



I digg my own articles, but not all of them. I also limit the number of posts I digg. I try to write one or two articles that are 'top quality' and newsworthy and only digg these.


I've also created 2 or 3 blogs which ask my readers to vote on a post. The objective is to increase your post diggs so you can get on the first page.
Widgets


That leads me to wonder what Netvibes was thinking when they made their new widget:

I love widgets. I use them whenever I can. But why would I want to add a widget to my blog that promotes other people's articles?
I want a widget that promotes MY diggs, and encourages people to add their number to my digg - much like they come to my blog for my blogcatalogue recent viewer list.
I do like the new digg tools that you just copy and paste into a blog. You can write a great article and then paste one of the buttons into your page

Digg!

Feel free to click the button and digg this story. I want to get a zip download of this button and change the words to, 'vote' for this story. I am not great at changing widgets, but they say it is not hard. I like anything that helps promote 'my' blog, or a blog in my network.

Swarm

I've watched their SWARM demonstration, but personally, I don't think digg works this way unless you belong to a group of people who are focused on digging articles. divanetworking doesn NOT include digging each other's articles each month as this is against their terms of service rules.

Digg'n is Not Enough

One thing you need to remember is that 'digg'n an article is not enough.' To get onto page 1, the blog needs tons of comments. Most of the blog posts that hit page one have more than 100 comments. This doesn't need to make you despair. These comments (and digg votes) do not always need to be generated within the first few days, months, of the post.

You can continue to promote a single article months - and years - after it was posted.

How to Make Digg Work

My best advice is not to try and digg everything. If you digg everything, or tons of articles on the same topic, then Digg might consider you as spamming the system. I haven't found that search engines pay attention to these links.

The main benefit is in the social networking aspect. Yes, digg a main portion of your 'good' articles. But, choose 5 - 10 really good ones and promote them on a regular basis. You can use links and 'read more' tags to take people to your best articles.

This has a two fold benefit. First, it will increase the number of diggs that page receives. Second, it will increase the Page Rank of that particular page.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree totally and I don't think it looks good to your readers or to digg that you digg your own posts. To me it gives the false perception that the post must not be popular enough if you have to digg them yourself. I say educate your readers and encourage them to digg your story with creative button placement or other means but STOP digging your own articles.

Impact is Everything said...

I understand totally but - what if someone is writing about parenting? How do they 'keep on topic' and educate their readers to digg? And, if dig doesn't expect people to digg their own - then why do they have the 'digg this' button to go in posts?

It is much easier to say at the end of a post 'would you please vote for this post'

All the 'pros' know that 1 vote comes from the blog owner. And, one vote really doesn't matter when you need at least 20 - 80 to make digg even see your article.

You have to remember that digg is a type of search engine. Submitting to search engines is Not wrong.

I posted your comment because I respect different views - but as for education - you need to go to digg and see 'what it is' and 'why they made it' before giving advice.

The only thing digg does not allow is submitting the same post multi times.

There is no way that submitting your blog post can effect the 'swarm.'

Dinesh Raju said...

The article has attractive topic but it very debatable. Under the terms of digg, it is not good to digg our own articles if we do not want to lose our account.

But as you said, it makes sense to digg ours once in a while. When we are active on digg, we never know how many sites we really digg. Among that is it bad if we have just a 5% as our own articles?

May be then we will become even more active and reduce the percentage. I think the percentage matter unless we are too influential member on digg to get suspected.

Thanks,
-fornls
http://www.triond.com/users/fornls