10.1.08

Understanding Broadband

I had a few people run into problems with large files. One said 'Oh, I have high speed Internet' but that means nothing. What matters is the number of people on your system, and the number of people using a transformer. Recently I read a report where a cable company had 60 000 users filtering through a transformer made for 20 000. That is not high speed.

You also want to ask your service what SPEED the broadband is, 8MBsquared is the fastest. Some broadband companies also limit the amount of downloads a customer can have. After a certain amount, sometimes as low as 5GB or 8GB. After that, your service provider limits, resulting in extremely slow downloads.

I have a friend that says 'Near the End of the month my local radio station stops streaming, and I can't download.' I asked them to check their service provider and see if their account had a limit on it.

Taking a broadband speed test can help you see if your Hi-Speed service is being left in the dust by the rest of the industry.

No comments: