19.4.08

My Review on AVG 8.0

I upgraded to AVG 8.0 tonight. It was rather easy. I had to save the file to desktop and download both VISTA patches. Once that was done I had the new features that watch for viruses before I download them.

One is the AVG tool bar. I had to turn of Active Surf-Shield and Search-Shield ot download the image in this blog, but they didn't disrupt anything else. My firewall configured itself for all my networks inclusing firewall :) nice!

The only configuration I made was to activate the configure the 'computer scanner' and activate the check for Root. This is what has been missing from virus scan for a long time. I set it to even find locked and hidden files.

I remember once I had Norton and I my tech found more than 30g of hidden files that were running in the background.

I spend most of my time on familiar sites, so I don't need Active Surf on. But, there are times when I am doing research.

If you've followed me over the last year then you'll know that I've crashed twice because of viruses. Both times required a complete reboot.

There is a feature to let users disable the firewall when playing a game. I like this, but I also wish there was a feature to disable the firewall when accessing server based online content management systems. This type of feature will make it easier to administer blogs.

Reports have stated that there are holes in the firewall that protects ports. Keep in mind that we are talking high tech here and most people are protected. However, configuring the system to check these systems and then verifying the data will protect most people (never keep banking or personal information on your computer at any time.)

This does not bother me because I have 2 firewalls as well as Visa's security. But, if you don't have a newer system, you might want to download ZoneAlarm as well.

If there is one tool that cis worth the effort then it is linkscan. Like I said, I didn't like losing about 1 - 2 seconds of browser speed so I turned it off, but if you are afraid of malware then this tool could save you a lot of sleepless nights.

FREE Version

Don't worry if you can only afford the free version. AVG’s anti-virus tool has a 100%detection rate certified by the independent bodies ICSA Labs and VB100.




CNET/ZDNET Review
AVG Anti-Virus 8 scored well in CNET Labs' performance tests and in third-party, independent antivirus testing using live viruses, although not always the top position. On the CNET iTunes test, AVG Anti-Virus 8 came in just 4 seconds above the test system at 272 seconds. On the CNET Microsoft Office test, AVG Anti-Virus 8 finished in 1,413 seconds. In a test scanning a single folder with compressed and media files, AVG Anti-Virus 8 completed it in 550 seconds. And in boot speed, AVG Anti-Virus 8 came in toward the slower end, with a fast 37.95 seconds. Click here to find out more about how we test Antivirus software.

In terms of protecting your PC, we refer readers to two leading independent antivirus testing organizations. In the latest test results from AV-Comparatives.org, gave AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 an Advanced rating (highest) for On Demand protection and Advanced Plus (highest) for heuristic protection, blocking 97 percent of the malicious code used in the test. Our second source of independent antivirus testing, CheckVir.com, ranked AVG Anti-Virus 7.5--the previous version--as one of five products to earn their Standard rating (highest) for identifying malicious software (the products were not tested for removal).

No comments: