26.4.08

Search Engines Won’t Index Your Blog

I have a couple of blogs that the search engines will not index. I can run the site through my WEBCEO software program and it shows the sites indexed on Google and Yahoo, plus a few others, but when I check out the site, it is not indexed.

In fact, there are websites with PR3 which are still not indexed. Not being indexed does not necessarily mean the webmaster has done something wrong.

SiteMap

There are several ways to index a site. One way is to add a site map to the website. This might not always be possible. If you have a Google account, try adding your FEED file and let Google use that as the site map – as with all Google tools, it doesn’t always work. I find that it works on two-thirds of my blogs.

Google has a hard time verifying Google’s own blogger. I’ve followed 3 sets of instructions and none of them worked. However, I verified Drupal and Wordpress without any problems. If you can get your site verified and use the sitemap tool to get indexed.

I did a little twist and got one of my sites indexed. The site was http://work-at-home-guru.blogspot.com/ WEBCEO said 61 pages were indexed. I did a site and link search and found almost 70 pages. But, when an advertiser did their search they didn’t find any search engines had indexed the site. Google wouldn’t let me ad /feed to the sitemap. I tried to verify the site – wouldn’t work.

So, I made a RSS feed at www.feedburner.com and let Google search that. Do not worry about errors. The objective is not to get the site indexed well, but to make Google take a look at the site.

AdWords


If the site is commercial and the site needs to be indexed quickly, then join Google’s PPC program. Their rules state that there is no minimum, but people I know who have AdWord accounts state that the minimum is $50. This is not bad because you get advertising for it.

The benefit of this program is that Google must index the site before finding websites to advertise on. That means an instant index.

No comments: